Sunday, March 7, 2010

An introduction, briefly.

I wish to simply make a little space here.

I am Jewish, yes, and I live in a Quaker community at Guilford College. My life is marked by paradox and by not fitting in, where ever I go. Right now, I am at Koinonia Farm, outside of Americus, GA. It is a beautiful, intentional Christian community, and I marvel at the easy grace and fellowship of the members. What a blessing, to be at home among others of your faith, living in such a way that you are supported and encouraged in your faith. That is truly a gift.

Yes, I practice a form of plain dress (an expression of the testament of simplicity for Quakers and other "plain" denominations, such as Mennonites). So no, I don't fit in with other Jews.

I was born in the wilderness, which is full of Jews really, but not as full as the east coast. East coast Jews make me feel incredibly shy. They can take so much for granted! I grew up in a community that was very aware of its place in the community as religious minorities. So I grew up aware that I was different. From Christians and other folks who I grew up with, but also from other Jews.

That's a bit of background. The rest will fill in later.

No comments:

Post a Comment